Thursday, October 30, 2008

Halloween Themed Food

I am a magazine ripper. I see something I think I might someday do or use and I rip it out. A lot of those things are recipes. I usually try them. But, the fun themed ones go into a binder and rarely are brought out when I need them. When a fun event comes along I'll usually think of looking through the binder too late in the game and then just settle for cookies or a pan of brownies. Not this time! I decided I was just going to make some of those fun Halloween treats I always see and rip out.



Tuesday morning while Ethan was at school Emmett and I shopped Wal-Mart for ingredients and headed home to get baking. The first thing we made was dog bone shaped bread sticks. Ethan LOVED these. We also made some pumpkin shaped pie dough "sandwiches" with peanut butter and chocolate chips in the middle and sugar on top. These were just okay. Pie crust is pretty bland. The kids mostly just dug out the chips. And, they were super crumbly. When Ethan got home, the three of us made dirt dessert together. (Notice Emmett is wearing a freezer paper stenciled shirt of candy corn).

When the kids came on Wednesday, the boys and I kept telling them they had to eat bones and dirt today. They laughed but weren't really sure what to think about what we were saying. When I showed the the dirt dessert they kept saying, "No!" and "It isn't really dirt, it is cake or cookies."



For breakfast that day I made the kids "Ghost Toast." Just toasted bread and spread cream cheese on it and cut it with a ghost cookie cutter. The kids thought that was cool, too. I ended up putting jelly a.k.a. blood on it, too.



For lunch the kids ate Apple Bites. I quartered and cored an apple and then cut a wedge from the skin side. Then I stuck slivered almonds in to resemble teeth. The kids thought they were funny. Very few ate the almonds and the apple skin, though. So, they were just for the initial reaction.



Our main course was Personal Pan Mummy Pizzas. The kids, again, thought they looked cool, but didn't eat the olive eyes and I had to hack the faces all up for them to eat them better. Despite all that, I had a lot of fun creating this fun food for them and the menu was, for the most part, healthy food options.

3 comments:

Tabitha said...

Hacking up a mummy face goes right along with the whole theme!

Great ideas! How fun for your kids and what memories special memories.

I'm attacking pumpkins this weekend- we have about 10 of various sizes all ready to be used in recipes. I've had some requests for your pumpkin pie/crumble recipe from a couple weeks ago. :) Please pass it on when you have a chance!

MerrandaVK said...

Wow, you have been having fun with Fall treats. I like the ghost and the bone bread stix. My kids would liked those. i'll have to try that this weekend :)

Oh, and of course the candy corn shirt is so cute too:)

MerrandaVK said...

You've been tagged!