Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Sorting Activity


The other day at Wal-Mart I was back by the craft section and saw these curved glass "beads" that were multi-colored. I thought they'd be a fun material for the kids to sort and make patterns with. My boys have tried this before, but today I took them out for all the kids. I first gave them all their own piles to sort. After they did that, they came up with the idea to sort them in the small holes on the papasan mattress. I think they like the sound and the feel of the glass in their hands--not a material they get a lot of time to manipulate.

The first time we played with them, I wanted Ethan to make a color pattern, but he ended up making a pattern by the way he turned the beads. This time I wanted them to play in their own areas sorting by color or making a pattern, but they came up with a fun idea, too. It is amazing how they come up with great ideas without us!

2 comments:

MerrandaVK said...

Very cool! I love it when they take an activity and roll with it their own way.

Also, very neat that they all worked together like that. Sometimes my 2 can't even do that :)

Tabitha said...

Looks like fun!