Monday, September 1, 2008

Sounds Matching


Today I created a sound matching activity for the boys. I have been wanting to do this activity for a while now, but just haven't had any film containers handy. Today when I was in Wal-Mart I asked if they happened to have any empty film containers and they sent me with a bag full!!! I used about a dozen, so if any of you want some, I have some to share.

I started by using all black containers and then thought it might be better to do one set in black and one set in white containers. My thinking was that I could tell them if they had a black on in their hands they would need to match the sound to a white one. I thought this would be easier until they grasped the concept. Later, I planned to put them all back in the black containers. They didn't really seem to understand this, though, and still just grabbed any container regardless of the color to find the match.

I put a lot of kitchen items inside as well as other little things laying around: cornmeal, pumpkin seeds, rice, seashell, coins, small rocks and beads. They were instantly engaged in this activity. I felt all Montessori-ish :) Especially since Emmett helped to fill the containers. I plan to switch out the fillers to keep it interesting. In one book I read, they suggested the kids gather outdoor things: pine needles, sand, rocks, seeds, etc. and do the same activity. (And for my M&M loving friends, you could even put those inside!)

A helpful hint: lay down the law on not opening the containers BEFORE they get them in their hands. Because Ethan didn't help fill them, he was quite intrigued with discovering what was inside. Thankfully we didn't have cornmeal and rice everywhere, but we could have. After we matched them all up a few times, we sat down and opened them all up. Funny thing with kids (well, mine at least) they wanted to see that both containers had the same thing even though they sounded exactly the same.

I had to get in one last schoolish activity before Ethan headed off to real school with a teacher other than mom!

1 comment:

MerrandaVK said...

This is one that's been on my list to make. I've been collecting small containers from Gander Mt., but so smart you are to ask at Walmart!!

Funny that the boys were so curious as to want to open them all up... I'll have to remember to set those rules when I do it.

(justin drank an entire bottle of water in the van on the way home from school.. he was SO THIRSTY!!!)