Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Under the Weather

On Sunday early morning, Ethan got sick about 6 times. Throughout the wee morning hours we were up changing sheets and rinsing buckets and mouths out. By mid-afternoon he was doing better.

Yesterday was great until about 10:00 pm. We had a couple over for supper and I made some "heavier" foods than we usually eat. I had no bread-type food all day until supper. We had cornbread and hot artichoke dip. Ugh, as I think it, it makes a lump form in my throat. So, I figured it was the heavy food. Well, at 12:30, we woke to Emmett crying for us and puke again on the just-washed bedding and comforter. So, once again, we washed bedding and jammies and mouths out. Aaron, again, such a great dad, climbed in bed with him and helped through the next two rounds of puke. Then, I switched with him. He slept most of the night, just one more puke episode. I didn't grab the bucket fast enough, so more stuff to be washed. I was up a few times thinking I would puke, waiting to puke, almost hoping to puke, but just a dry heave and then nothing.

I woke this morning much later than usual to find Aaron was gone to work, despite saying he felt a bit ill mid morning. Ethan was asleep in our bed and I hoped that school had been cancelled so I wouldn't have to muster the energy to take him in.

Emmett woke soon after and was feeling fine. My wonderful boys pretty much fended for themselves today. I fed them breakfast around 9:00 and then we watched some Extreme Makeover Home Edition together. I had to sleep. So, I asked them to be good and went to bed. I woke an hour later with Aaron home to plow our driveway and feeling just as run-down as I. The boys and I read some books and I snoozed a bit longer. About an hour later he came home with McDonald's burgers for me and the boys. I was so hungry, but I couldn't eat much. Then, we turned on the Polar Express and took a long nap. The boys played so well together today and were pretty good about being quiet for us. They didn't make a huge mess, either. I got up and directed them to clean up and they did it all themselves! Very impressive.

I went into the laundry room to tend to bedding and jammies and washcloths that accumulated and my sweet boys came in and started to grab things that they could put away. I didn't even ask them! They insisted on doing more than I even was willing to let them do. It turns out they are capable of more than I expect from them! What a great learning experience!

I am feeling pretty well. I had enough energy to put bedding on Ethan's bed, although I was pretty wiped afterward. Aaron is a few hours behind me, but feeling a little better. We are off to town to just get out of the house for a bit. Now, I hope we are done with this bug!

2 comments:

MerrandaVK said...

Oh that was me on Sat. night. Thankfully I got the vomit bowl in enough time for the last 2 episodes. But Justin's first one was so gross, I had to wash his bedding twice.. Thankfully no one else has caught it.

Hope you guys get past it quickly. I heard strep was going around school too...yikes.

Tabitha said...

So sorry you guys. :( Hopefully your defenses should be good to go when the next round strikes the area.