Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Sweet Corn

Sunday night my parents called to say that my Uncle Bob had an over-abundance of sweet corn to be picked if we wanted some. I mentioned it to Aaron and he seemed interested. Monday morning my dad called again to let us know my mom would help us boil and bag it to freeze it. So, I called my sister-in-law, April, to see if they were going to do sweet corn, too. She was undecided; we decided we could all work together and tag-team with the kids.

At 10:00 I left my house to ride my bike to her house so the kids could play a while. We decided to pick corn with the kids. They had a blast! Unfortunately, we couldn't get any pictures. My Grandma was there and the boys helped her. They were picking corn, knocking down stalks, playing hide n seek, and just exploring the corn field. Now, for those of you who are stressed about kids playing in a corn field ... it was a very small corn field, we couldn't have lost them.

What started as a 1 hour play date, ended as a 12 hour Freezer Corn Fest. We went back to April's, dumped the trailer load of corn, ate lunch, went back and picked another trailer load. Came back and started husking the corn!!! As we started, my dad brought another trailer load over for us to husk. We husked corn for close to 4 hours!! Aaron came right after work to help.

My parents brought over burgers and we ate burgers and sweet corn, what else? Then, we got to work boiling, cutting, and bagging. My mom and Brad watched the kids. My dad manned the kettles, April, Aaron and I cut and bagged (I think we had the most fun). My mom and Brad bathed the kids and put them to bed. My mom took our kids home and put them to bed and folded all my laundry and put bedding on the beds. (I forgot I stripped the beds ... I didn't plan to be gone all day). What an angel my mom is.

We really did have a blast doing the corn. It was a lot of work. Our backs hurt from husking and standing and our wrists hurt from cutting, but we had a great time joking around and sharing in each other's company.

Thanks Uncle Bob and Mom!

2 comments:

MerrandaVK said...

Oh my does sound like lots of work, but so much more fun when you are with loved ones!

I just froze 2 dozen ears worth of corn last week, and I was tired from that little bit!!

Tabitha said...

How fun! You guys will surely enjoy that corn this winter. :)