Thursday, October 2, 2008

Bee Sting Catastrophe


Wanting to be a good mom and daycare provider, I wanted to take the kids outside before lunch. I was hungry already and Ethan really wanted to stay inside, but I thought they really needed to be outside on a nice fall day. So, I insisted. As the kids got their shoes and coats on they went out the garage. Zach, Cruz, and I were the last 3 out to discover the other 3 had dumped a wagon full of dirt and weeds on the garage floor. I told them to start cleaning it up; they tried to do so with plastic shovels and hoes. Then, they darted off to the trail to play. Zach, Cruz and I stayed behind sweeping up the mess. Cruz decided he'd have more fun in the trail and joined the other 3. Zach and I started making our way toward the front of the house to hear screaming and crying. Initially I thought they were crying over unshared toys. The first thing I heard was Ethan screaming, "I poked my eye." Then, I realized they were all crying and saying their poked their eyes. I was trying to figure out how they could all have poked their eyes. As soon as they come out of the trail one of them said they were stung by bees. Sure enough. Cruz still had some on his sweatshirt. In my attempt to get them off I was stung twice in my leg. I ripped off my pants in the front yard! Quickly we all ran to the garage and started ripping off clothes. I didn't even know what to do. I was so overwhelmed with so many kids (all but Zach) screaming and I didn't know who to help first. I called April's cell and just said, "can you come here?" while she was hearing screaming in the background. After a few minutes I realized we didn't need to be standing close to naked in the garage, that we could actually go in the house. April came and helped out, bless her heart. Cruz's mom came for a while, too. April told me that on her way over she didn't know what to think that had happened--a finger severed, a nose broke (her real thoughts).

Missy: 2 thigh stings
Ethan: 1 upper cheek/below the eye sting and 1 wrist sting
Emmett: 1 ear sting (pictured above hours after the swelling started to go down)
Brayden: 1 or 2 on his front below the shoulder and 1 or 2 on his shoulder blade
Cruz: 1 on his finger and 1 on his chin

It really sounded just awful here. Everyone but Cruz ate lunch shortly afterward. We put clothes back on and watched a little Thomas. Cruz fell asleep instantly watching the show. Brayden, Ethan and Emmett helped make Halloween sugar cookies (the bribe for Brayden to let April go back to work and him stay here). I think we'll be looking at an early bedtime today!

2 comments:

Tabitha said...

What an experience! I have such a vivid mental picture of you ripping clothes off kids and thrashing at bees. And I can just about imagine what was going through April's head! Glad to hear all turned out ok. :)

MerrandaVK said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I am just catching up on blogs tonight. Bless you guys! I would have been in hysterics too. Evan got stung by a bee recently too. The bees are really bad this year. Poor little boys..